The 100 Gbit/s problem in your network

Aled Morris aledm at qix.co.uk
Mon Feb 11 12:16:17 UTC 2013

I don't see why, as an ISP, I should carry multiple, identical, payload
packets for the same content.  I'm more than happy to replicate them closer
to my subscribers on behalf of the content publishers.  How we do this is
the question, i.e. what form the "multi"-"casting" takes.

It would be nice if we could take advantage of an inherent design of IP and
the hardware it runs on, to duplicate the actual packets in-flow as near as
is required to the destination.

Installing L7 content delivery boxes or caches is OK, but doesn't seem as
efficient as an overall technical solution.

Aled