10 Mbit/s problem in your network

Michal Krsek michal at krsek.cz
Sun Feb 10 23:39:51 UTC 2013

Hello,

>> The Apple TV cited as an example was an example.
>
> If the TV Show/films/movies/etc.. is static content, then we
> should be able to cache it, at the hotel's cache server.

The question is "how much it helps". Everyone can easily find that
caching Google logo is possible, also some pictures from big media
companies webs. Also some program updates may help.

I'm not sure what will be cache hit ratio from YouTube (because of very
log tail) or facebook pictures.

Number of hotel guests is really limited.

>>> How about those who have limited bandwidth to the Internet? Like
>>> ferries, trains, buses or satellite links...
>>
>> And pray tell me, why should they all have TLMC's ?
>
> I'm not saying that they should have a cache server. I'm saying
> that they could.

The question is:
Is investment for buying TLMC and operation costs for TLMC profitable
for the hotel?

Seems to me like question:
Is investment and operation costs for high bandwidth connection
profitable for the hotel?

The discussion is really about the hotel business, the best way for the
community is to provide a feedback for hotel managers what is expected
(for free and for the money). And, eventually, provide a kind of metric.
What is really annoying, is when you pay for broken connection.

         Regards
                 Michal