Muni fiber: L1 or L2?

Jason Baugher jason at thebaughers.com
Sun Feb 10 01:21:53 UTC 2013

On Feb 9, 2013 6:14 PM, "Masataka Ohta" <mohta at necom830.hpcl.titech.ac.jp>
wrote:

> Jason Baugher wrote:
>
> > You are seriously saying I should hire a translator to tell me what your
> > document says?
>
> You don't have to, as you are not seriously interested in the
> topic.

If you say so. In your own mind you obviously know far more about this
topic than anyone else. I'm shocked that you waste time trying to educate
us.

> BTW, it is not my document but an article in a famous online
> magazine.

There are many famous online magazines. Some have merit. That one may. Who
knows?

> > How about you point out a reference
> > written in a language common to North America, since this IS NANOG.
>
> Feel free to do so.

You're the one making the assertion, it's not my job to help you make it.

> > Anyone here doing or know someone doing 4-1 or 8-1 splits, in a typical
> > American town? I believe most people were talking about areas <50000
> > population.
>
> The figure of 3.68-1 is by NTT.

> > Our main cost is labor. Fiber, fdh, splitters, etc... are marginal.
>
> You never forget labor cost.
>
> Installing more lengthy drop cable, in addition to trunk cable,
> means more labor.
>
> Installing a bulky PON closure with splitter means more labor.

Drops from a splitter vs drops from a splice case for your SS.... Not much
difference from what I've seen.