The 100 Gbit/s problem in your network

joel jaeggli joelja at bogus.com
Fri Feb 8 17:41:00 UTC 2013

On 2/8/13 9:02 AM, Saku Ytti wrote:
> On (2013-02-08 14:15 +0000), Aled Morris wrote:
>
>> "Multicast"
> I don't see multicast working in Internet scale.
>
> Essentially multicast means core is flow-routing. So we'd need some way to
> decide who gets to send their content as multicast and who are forced to
> send unicast.
The market  already ruled on who gets to insert MSDP state in your
routers.  inter-domain multicast to the extent that it exists  is
between consenting adults.

Which is fine, it turns out we don't need it for youtube or justin.tv to
exist, and I don't need to signal into the core of the internet to make
my small group conferencing app work.