The 100 Gbit/s problem in your network

joel jaeggli joelja at bogus.com
Fri Feb 8 16:12:11 UTC 2013

On 2/8/13 5:23 AM, fredrik danerklint wrote:
> - Well, as it turns out, we don't have that kind of a problem.
>
> - You don't?
>
> - No, we do not have that kind of a problem in our network.
>   We have plenty of bandwidth available to our customers,
>   thank-you-every-much.
>
> - Do you have, just to make an example, about 10 000 customers
>   in a specific area, like an city/county or part of a
>   city/county?
>
> - Yes, of course!
>
> - Does these customers have at least 10 Mbit/s connection to the
>   Internet?
>
> - Yes! Who do you think we are, like stupid! Haha!
>
> - Could all those 10 000 customers, just to make it theoretical,
>   hit the 'play'-button on their Internet-connected-TV, at the same
>   time, to watch the latest Quad-HD movie?

The media market has fragmented, so unless we're talking about the first
week in February in the US it's not all from one source or 3 or 5.

So far the most common delivery format for quad HD content online rings
in at around 20Mb/s so  you're not delivering that to 10Mb/s customer(s).

On the other hand, two weekends ago I bought skyrim  on steam and it was
delivered, all 5.5GB of it in about 20 minutes. That's not instant
gratification but it's acceptable.