Any experience with Grandstream VoIP equipment ?

John Levine johnl at iecc.com
Fri Feb 8 04:39:45 UTC 2013

I'm in the midst of what would be a comedy of errors if it weren't so
annoying.  I bought a new Grandstream HT701 VoIP terminal adapter from
a guy on eBay who is apparently an official Grandstream reseller.  It
doesn't work.  The guy I bought it from (whose support ends at "nobody
else has that problem") pointed fingers at Grandstream, whose support
has been, well, impressive and not in a good way.

I've done packet traces on the LAN with the box, I know what the
problem is: there's something wrong with the box so it doesn't respond
to the Proxy-Authenticate: challenge from my SIP provider.  I know the
challenge is OK, I have an old VoIP phone of theirs which works fine,
on the same LAN with the same provider and the same configuration.

Unfortunately, Grandstream's support staff is apparently unfamilar
with packet traces and networks, and after a variety of obviously
wrong diagoses (no, it's not a NAT problem, you can see the responses
coming back from the remote system, etc.) seems unable to understand
that a packet trace is, you know, a trace of the actual packets that
have passed by the device's NIC.  There's more, but you get the idea.

Does anyone else here use their equipment?  Is there any way to find
support for this stuff who can actually provide support?

R's,
John