Will wholesale-only muni actually bring the boys to your yard?

Robert E. Seastrom rs at seastrom.com
Wed Feb 6 16:28:19 UTC 2013

Scott Helms <khelms at zcorum.com> writes:

> On Wed, Feb 6, 2013 at 10:30 AM, Robert E. Seastrom <[[rs at seastrom.com]]>
> wrote:
>
>                If you were talking about layer 2 handoffs, your statement
>      is perhaps
>      even more untrue - active ethernet and PON layer 2 handoffs are
>      approximately as easy as each other.
>
> Perhaps you'd share some specifics?  I certainly haven't worked on all of the
> PON systems that are out there, but the ones I have worked one didn't have (or
> I didn't find) a good way to separate traffic at layer 2 so that several
> operators could handle their own Layer 3 provisioning for customers on the
> same OLT.

Every PON OLT that I have touched has supported both vlan-per-customer
(has scaling issues) and vlan-per-service configuration abstractions.
There are other ways to do it too (double and triple tagging) but to
keep it simple if one creates profiles along the lines of:

SP1-VOIP
SP1-VIDEO
SP1-INTARWEBZ

and repeats for sp2, sp3, etc...  trunk out the top, split off vlans
and backhaul as appropriate (choose wisely!) with appropriate QoS if
you like, to equal access provider.

Provisioning the ONT/ONU and the inter-provider interface to do so
(REST XML?  JSON?  something else?) is left as an exercise to the
implementer.

Reading this:
https://sites.google.com/site/amitsciscozone/home/gpon/gpon-vlans-and-gem-ports
may prove informative for the GPON case.

-r