Muni fiber: L1 or L2?

Scott Helms khelms at zcorum.com
Wed Feb 6 15:12:46 UTC 2013

On Wed, Feb 6, 2013 at 2:50 AM, Masataka Ohta <
mohta at necom830.hpcl.titech.ac.jp> wrote:

> Eric Wieling wrote:
>
> > I don't think it is that much more expensive to allow other
> > ISPs an ATM PVC into their network.
>
> Wrong, which is why ATM has disappeared.
>
> > ATM may not be the best technology to do this,
>
> It is not.

Actually, at the level that Eric's discussing there isn't any real drawback
to using ATM.  There's no particular upside either, but it certainly works
and depending on the gear you're getting your L2TP feed on it may be the
best choice.

> > but the basic concept is not bad.
>
> It is not enough, even if you use inexpensive Ethernet. See
> the subject.

Why?

--
Scott Helms