Level3 worldwide emergency upgrade?

Alex Rubenstein alex at corp.nac.net
Wed Feb 6 12:57:06 UTC 2013

> Would you rather your ISP not maintain their devices?  Are the
> consequences "so bad" of a 30 minute outage that your business
> is severely impacted?
>
> - Jared

You had me up until that line.

That should be expanded a little ...

First, I'd say, yes - many businesses would be severely impacted and may even have consequential issues if they had to sustain a 30 minute outage. Suppose for a moment they couldn't process money machines transactions for 30 minutes; or Netflix couldn't serve content for 30 minutes; or youporn was offline for 30 minutes.

The question should be more along the lines of, "why aren't you multihomed in a way that would make a 30 minute outage (which is inevitable) irrelevant to you?