Muni fiber: L1 or L2?

Eric Wieling EWieling at nyigc.com
Wed Feb 6 00:27:03 UTC 2013

In the past the ISP simply needed a nice big ATM pipe to the ILEC for DSL service.   The ILEC provided a PVC from the customer endpoint to the ISP.  As understand it this is no longer the case, but only because of non-technical issues.

We currently use XO, Covad, etc to connect to the customer   We get a fiber connection to them and the provide use L2 connectivity to the custom endpoint using an Ethernet VLAN, Frame Relay PVC, etc complete with QoS.   I assume XO, etc use UNE access to the local loop.   There is no reason a Muni can't do something similar.