How far must muni fiber operators protect ISP competition?

Jay Ashworth jra at baylink.com
Tue Feb 5 16:08:56 UTC 2013

----- Original Message -----
> From: "Owen DeLong" <owen at delong.com>

> Actually, as I understood what was proposed, you would bring Cable Coop
> and/or other such vendors into the colo space adjacent to the MMR and
> let them sell directly to the other service providers and/or
> customers.

I am of two minds at this point, on this topic.

The goal of this project, lying just atop improving the city's position in
the world, is to do so by making practical competition between service
providers, to keep prices as low as possible.

when I delve into the realm of things like this, some people could make
a relatively defensible argument that I am disadvantaging ISPs who are
smart enough to know about this sort of service on their own, by helping
out those who are not.

I'm not sure if that argument outweighs the opposing one, which is that
I should be *trying* to advantage those smaller, less savvy operators, as
they're the sort I want as providers.

I think this particular point is one of opinion; I solicit such.

Cheers,
-- jra