Muni fiber: L1 or L2?

Scott Helms khelms at zcorum.com
Mon Feb 4 23:08:21 UTC 2013

On Mon, Feb 4, 2013 at 5:58 PM, Masataka Ohta <
mohta at necom830.hpcl.titech.ac.jp> wrote:

> Scott Helms wrote:
>
> >> Bot of you are wrong.
> >>
> >> There is no reason fiber is more expensive than copper, which means SS
> >> is cheap, as cheap as copper.
>
> > Copper isn't cheap, its just there already.
>
> Unbundled copper costs about $10/M or so, which means SS fiber
> can't be more expensive.

Why is that?

> > What is SS?
>
> Single star.

I'm not sure what you're trying to describe here, the cost of fiber from an
ongoing standpoint isn't strongly correlated to the architecture.  Upgrades
to the fiber and adding service to new areas is a different animal.

> > No, most of the cost isn't in running the cabling.  Today most of the
> cost
> > is in lighting the fiber, though that varies on where you're running the
> > cabling and what gear you're using to light it.
>
> On page 11 of google slide,
>

> http://static.googleusercontent.com/external_content/untrusted_dlcp/research.google.com/en/us/pubs/archive/36936.pdf
>
> it is stated that "Trenching consists of 70-80% of the total cost
> for infrastructure build".

Trenching != cabling and the total initial CAPEX is less than 25% of the
total cost over 10 years.

> > PON is preferred by carriers because it works in their existing equipment
>
> Their existing equipment was SS copper and MDF.

No, their existing equipment was Adtran, Calix, Occam, Alcatel, Zhone, AFC,
and a host of others but not SS copper or MDF.  By MDF I assume your'e
talking about main distribution frame which has nothing to do with the
discussion here.

> > Planning for a carrier network
> > is very different (different requirements) than for a greenfield muni
> > system.
>
> Surely, transition from copper to fiber is not trivial, but it
> helps a lot that fiber cables are thinner than copper cables.

Really, so you think that the thickness of the cable has an impact on how
much it should cost?  So, tell you what I'll exchange some nice thick
10 gauge copper wire for 4 gauge platinum, since its much thinner that
ought to be a good trade for you, right?  ;)

--
Scott Helms
Vice President of Technology