Is Google Fiber a model for Municipal Networks?

Scott Helms khelms at zcorum.com
Mon Feb 4 21:10:50 UTC 2013

On Mon, Feb 4, 2013 at 12:03 PM, Masataka Ohta <
mohta at necom830.hpcl.titech.ac.jp> wrote:

> Scott Helms wrote:
>
>  Here is the architecture document:
>> http://static.**googleusercontent.com/**external_content/untrusted_**
>> dlcp/research.google.com/en/**us/pubs/archive/36936.pdf<http://static.googleusercontent.com/external_content/untrusted_dlcp/research.google.com/en/us/pubs/archive/36936.pdf>
>>

> The document, seemingly, does not address drop cable cost
> difference.
>
> It does not address L1 unbundling with WDM-PON, which
> requires fiber patch panel identical to that required
> for SS, either.

They're not doing WDM-PON or any flavor of PON at all.  Its entirely an
Active Ethernet deployment.

> As for power consumption at CO, all the transmitters do not
> have to have power consuming LDs but can just have modulators
> to modulate light from a shared light source, which has already
> happened with QSFP+:
>
>         http://www.luxtera.com/faqs/
>
>         How do you generate light in silicon?
>
>         Actually, we don't. Silicon is a bad material to try and
>         build lasers in. Some silicon lasers have been demonstrated,
>         but these are completely impractical. As it turns out there's
>         no need to build a silicon laser: lasers are already very
>         inexpensive (remember, there's already one in every PC
>         - inside the CD/DVD player). The challenge has been finding
>         an inexpensive way to attach the lasers to silicon. Solving
>         this problem, and the related one of inexpensively attaching
>         optical fibers to silicon, is a key piece of Luxtera's
>         intellectual property. We think of a laser as being just
>         like a DC power supply – only it provides a steady stream of
>         photons rather than electrons.

Masataka, are your trying to participate in the conversation or sell gear?
 The laser used in your DVD player is NOT suitable for a broadband
deployment.

--
Scott Helms
Vice President of Technology