Rollup: Small City Municipal Broadband

Jean-Francois Mezei jfmezei_nanog at vaxination.ca
Mon Feb 4 20:26:38 UTC 2013

On 13-02-04 14:57, Fletcher Kittredge wrote:

> of the reason you have had difficulty ordering them.   The proper term is
> Unbundled Network Elements(UNE) copper loops.

The Bell Canada tariff on ADSL acess (5410) uses the following
terminology: (GAS = wholesale DSL service operated by incumbent telco
that provides PPPoE (there are some variations that provide ethernet
connection) between end users and independent ISPs)

##
(h) GAS Access will only be provisioned over Company provided primary
exchange service, unbundled local loops used to provide CLEC primary
exchange service, or dry loops.
##

"Dry Loop" refers to a local loop that has no phone service attached to
it (either telco or CLEC) but has the telco's wholesale DSL service.
As I recall, it is tariffed separatly and differently from unbundled
local loops. (If an ISP has its own DSLAM, it would need an unbundled
local loop since it isn't buying the wholesale DSL service from Bell).

In the USA, is access to the last mile copper mandated only for CLECs or
can a company that is not a CLEC (aka: an ISP) also get access to the
copper between CO and homes ?