Rollup: Small City Municipal Broadband

Jay Ashworth jra at baylink.com
Sun Feb 3 14:31:19 UTC 2013

----- Original Message -----
> From: "Jean-Francois Mezei" <jfmezei_nanog at vaxination.ca>

> On 13-02-02 23:17, Jay Ashworth wrote:
> > Home run from each prem to an MDF. City employes do all M-A-C patch cable
> > moves on the MDF, to horizontals into the colo, where the provider's gear
> > aggregates it from L1 to whatever.
> >
> > No aerial plant at all, no multple provider runs to the prems.
>
> Not talking about MDF/CO/MMR or whatever you call the aggregation point.
> While you've made it clear that you don't let Service Providers play
> around in that aggregation point, you didn't define (or perhaps I
> missed it) the responsabilities for work at homes.

Ah, and that's because I was making an assumption I didn't actually
mention; my apologies.

> When municipality does the buildout, does it just pass homes, or does
> it actually connect every home ?

I was planning to at the very least bring the 'drop' (the underground tail)
up on to the structure.  We probably won't actually put the ONTs on for
people who don't pre-sub.

It's still an open question whether we'll use interior or exterior ONTs for
our own L2 service, but the idea that there will be competing L2/3 providers
lets out the idea of preprovisioning all the ONTs; no sense.

> When "passing homes", you would generally have pre-built taps such as
> Corning FlexNAPs along the cable so that a strand can be added quickly
> between the tap at telephone pole and the home wanting to get service.
> You only connect homes that subscribe to your service. (so you have to
> decide who is responsible for stringing fibre from telephone pole to
> the home when end user subscribes to a Service Provider's services.

Yeah; everything from the MMR/MDF to the prem is our responsibility;
the ISPs rack up in the colo and we physically hand them optical (or
ethernet) patches.

> Not entirely sure what sort of methods they use when it is an
> underground cable plant. (perhaps more likely to see fibre brought to
> each home during the dig, perhaps not).

It was my plan, yes, but I haven't talked to fiber install contractor
people yet, since this is at least a 36 month project.

> In any event, you still have to worry about responsability if you allow
> Service Providers to install their on ONT or whatever CPE equipment in
> homes. If they damage the fibre cable when customer unsubscribes, who
> is responsible for the costs of repair ? (consider a case where either
> homeowner or SP just cuts the fibre as it comes out of wall when
> taking the ONT out to be returned to the SP.

I'm sure someone makes scissor-proof armored optical drop cables, right? :-)

> In Canada, the wholesale regime gives the owner of the cable plant
> (telco or cableco) responsibility for all installs even for independent
> ISPs. However, independent ISPs are responsible for providing approved
> modems to their customers. (different for VDSL where the telco
> provides the modems even for custoemrs of indy ISPs since the modems are
> customized to work with the VDSL DSLAMS selected by the telcos). In
> the case of cable companies, they have a list of approved DOCIS modems
> the> allow independent ISPs to sell to teir customers.

That's something like how, say, RoadRunner does it here; they'll supply
the cablemodem, or you can buy a compatible one.   It's a loss, since
they'll replace lightning zapped ones for free if it's there.

> We'll see in the next few months what will transpire for a wholesale
> FTTH access in terms of responsabilities for CPE equipment (ONT,
> battery backup etc).

In Canada, you mean?  Interesting.

Cheers,
-- jra