Fwd: Rollup: Small City Municipal Broadband

Jean-Francois Mezei jfmezei_nanog at vaxination.ca
Sun Feb 3 04:07:22 UTC 2013

On 13-02-02 21:29, Scott Helms wrote:
> Yeah, that's what I figured.  There are lots of older PON deployments that
> used the modulated RF approach.

>From what I have read, Verizon's FIOS does that. RFoG cable TV for
certain frequencies, normal ethernet data for other frequencies, and
dedicated bandwidth for VoIP.

Cable companies in Canada have begun to deploy FTTH in greenfields. And
those are deployed to be compatible with their coax infrastructure. The
fibre from the CMTS is simply extended to the home instead of stopping
at a "node" on a telephone pole. The coax starts at the ONT to get to
the TV sets.  Not sure if they have a DOCSIS modem attached to the coax
or if they get the ethernet out of ONT.

However, Rogers seems to have areas being deployed differently and I
*believe* it is pure ethernet. (and not even sure if GPON). Rogers also
wants to go all IPTV , something unexpected from a traditional cableTV
company.

Something to consider about dark fibre L1 service: If city lets Service
Providers perform installations (string from telephone pole to homes
etc), you need to worry about damages they can cause. And in cases when
customer unsubscribes from SP-1 and subscribes to SP-2 you have to make
sure that SP-1 doesn't damage the termination of the fibre in the home
to make installation by SP-2 harder/costlier.

In an L2 service, the city is responsible for all installations and
de-installs and has no incentive to damage the infrastructure to hurt a
competitor. And generally, the CPE is installed by city and stays in
place when end user swiches service provider.