Muni fiber: L1 or L2?

david peahi davidpeahi at gmail.com
Sun Feb 3 03:11:52 UTC 2013

Technically, any of the architectures espoused by some of the commentators
on this thread will work, and would at least be an order of magnitude
better than what is available in the local loop today.

One of the commentators, however, did underscore the biggest challenge by
far to national broadband. (Even the watered down version consisting of a
welter of autonomous municipal networks as is the subject of this thread).
And that challenge is the stranglehold that incumbent telcos have on the
local loop, and their caustic, anti-progress influence in City Halls, Sate
Legislatures, and Washington DC.

That is why the Australian NBN serves as a good example of how to wrest
control of the local loop plant away from the telcos. In many areas of the
US a parallel fiber network is already in place, built out by the Federal
School Lunch e-rate program. Here, regrettably, the telcos have exerted
their caustic influence by compelling legislators to allow only school and
library traffic on the e-rate fiber.

As far as a purely technical solution, in my own experience some years ago
I worked in the entertainment business in the Burbank/Glendale, Ca. area.
Both cites, led by the visionary Burbank Department of Water and Power,
built out dark fiber networks. Of course, getting municipal fiber in
Glendale required an intense struggle with the incumbent telco, which sent
a representative to every city council meeting arguing that municipal fiber
was bad for the city residents.

David