Fwd: Rollup: Small City Municipal Broadband

Jason Baugher jason at thebaughers.com
Sun Feb 3 02:03:52 UTC 2013

On Feb 2, 2013 3:33 PM, "Scott Helms" <khelms at zcorum.com> wrote:

> This is not correct.  DOCSIS is an MPEG stream over QAM or QPSK modulation
> and there is nothing about it that is compatible to any flavor of PON.  In
> fact if you look at the various CableLabs standards you'll see DPoE (
> http://www.cablelabs.com/dpoe/specifications/index.html) which lists how a
> DOCSIS system can inter-operate and provision an PON system. If you look
at

Jay may be referring to something I alluded to earlier,  what Calix refers
to as RF overlay. The RF signal from the traditional cable system is
converted to 1550nm and combined onto the PON before the splitter with a
CWDM module. Certain model ONT's split the 1550 back off and convert back
to an RF port.