Followup: Small City Municipal Broadband

Brandon Ross bross at pobox.com
Sat Feb 2 23:14:56 UTC 2013

On Sat, 2 Feb 2013, Jay Ashworth wrote:

> [...]

It sure seems like just pushing the competition (or lack thereof) up the
stack.

>> Running a decent layer 3 service is "hard" too. Isn't the whole point to
>> let these service providers compete with each other on the quality and
>> cost of their services?
>
> You could say the same thing about the uplink,

Which uplink is that?  I'm a little confused.

> though; I note you didn't throw a flag at that, or at Akamai; is the
> IPTV issue different to you?

If you were to open your colo to all comers that have similar models to
Akamai, that seems fair.  After all, it's not the city selling Akamai
services to either the ISPs or end-users, the city is just providing a
convenient way for the providers that are there to interconnect with
content providers that care to show up.

Now if you were to encourage an IPTV services provider that WASN'T the
city to co-locate at the facility, that seems reasonable as long as terms
were even if another one wanted to show up.  I could imagine that some
might sell service direct retail, others might go wholesale with one of
the other service providers.  Maybe both?

This whole thing is the highway analogy to me.  The fiber is the road.
The city MIGHT build a rest stop (layer 2), but shouldn't be allowed to
either be in the trucking business (layer 3), nor in the
business of manufacturing the products that get shipped over the road
(IPTV, VOIP, etc.), and the same should apply to the company that
maintains the fiber, if it's outsourced.

--
Brandon Ross                                      Yahoo & AIM:  BrandonNRoss
+1-404-635-6667                                                ICQ:  2269442