Muni fiber: L1 or L2?

Owen DeLong owen at delong.com
Sat Feb 2 20:04:33 UTC 2013

On Feb 2, 2013, at 11:23 AM, Jean-Francois Mezei <jfmezei_nanog at vaxination.ca> wrote:

> On 13-02-02 10:36, Jay Ashworth wrote:
>
>> Yes, but everyone on a splitter must be backhauled to the same L1 provider,
>> and putting splitters *in the outside plant* precludes any other type
>> of L1 service, *ever*.  So that's a non-starter.
>

> If you have 4 ISPs, why not put 4 splitters in the neighbourhood ?
> Individual homes can be hooked to any one of the 4 splitters, and you
> then only need 4 strands between splitter and CO.
>
> I understand that having strands from CO to Homes is superior at the
> technical point of veiw and gives you more flexibility for different
> services (including commercial services to a home while the neighbour
> gets residential services).
>
> But if strands from CO to homes is so superior, how come telcos aren't
> doing it and are using GPON instead ?

Because Telcos are optimizing for different parameters. They want the cheapest
way to provide an adequate solution by today's standards and, where possible,
to discourage competition. They want to offer a very small number of very
standardized products. GPON with splitters in the neighborhood meet those
goals.

Hopefully, a city has a somewhat opposite set of goals. To provide a quality
infrastructure for many years to come which encourages and supports the development
of a vibrant and competitive market for a wide variety of services.

Owen