Will wholesale-only muni actually bring the boys to your yard?

Jay Ashworth jra at baylink.com
Fri Feb 1 23:46:28 UTC 2013

----- Original Message -----
> From: "Frank Bulk (iname.com)" <frnkblk at iname.com>

> What's missing in this dialogue is the video component of an offering.
> Many customers like a triple (or quad) play because the price points
> are reasonable comparable to getting unbundled pricing from more than
> one provider, and they have just throat to choke and bill to pay.
>
> But few IP TV providers will claim good profitability. And I don't
> believe any vendor has ActiveE and RFoG going down one strand.

Not an issue I'd missed.  The suggestion of, I believe it was Owen, to run
GPON over the home-run fiber, with the splitters at the headend, solves that
problem rather nicely, though; the L3+ provider can do whatever they like;
if they need GPON to deliver, they (or we) can provision the splitters, and
patch through them, back to whatever OLT eqiuvalent they deliver from.

In fact, I need to find out the pricing class of the GPON splitters;
given what I gather the port count difference is between the line cards
on, say, the Calix E7, I might do my own L2 service that way, since the
Calix ONTs will take either.

I'm working up a what, how and why writeup on this, given my personal
set of tradeoffs; I hope to get it up by morning, so no one feels left
out on the last Whacky Weekend before the conference (which, dammital,
I can't attend, even though it's in Florida for the first time in a
decade...).

Cheers,
-- jra