Why are we fixated on Multimode fiber for high bandwidth communication?

Phil Bedard bedard.phil at gmail.com
Tue Dec 31 19:58:44 UTC 2013

Money, really.  The optics and fiber cost is cheaper than SM.  The
standards around SM optics are to reach relatively long distances, so the
transmitters and receivers are more expensive and they use way more power.

That being said, I see MM in modern datacenters being used in-rack or very
short distances due to the reasoning you mentioned, having to run at least
4 pair for 40G or 12 pair in the case of 100GBase-SR10.  I know there are
structured cabling solutions for handling the bundles but it sure seems
like a pain.  QSFP28 will bring 100G back down to 4 pairs of fibers at
least for those who want to use MM.  There was significant push by Google
and others to come up with a shorter-reach 100G SM standard (LR10) because
people don't want to use 12-pair MTP cables around their datacenter and
LR4 wasn't a good fit.

We are pretty much all SM for anything 10G and above as a standard, but
have looked at 100GBase-SR10 for short-reach 100G interconnects due to the
significant reduction in cost and power compared to 100GBase-LR4.

Phil