turning on comcast v6

Baldur Norddahl baldur.norddahl at gmail.com
Tue Dec 31 09:03:51 UTC 2013

On Tue, Dec 31, 2013 at 12:24 AM, Leo Bicknell <bicknell at ufp.org> wrote:

> Here's what you will soon find:
>
> 1) The IPv6 pings on both machines cease to work.

That will not actually happen. An IPv6 router is only allowed to announce a
prefix by RA if it has a working uplink.

Nonetheless you are required to secure your network against rogue DHCP and
RA servers on both IPv4 and IPv6.

Aside from the obvious reasons why, we can keep to your example, except
this time it is a home router used for a home office application with a
build in DHCP server. You connect it to your office network and it promptly
starts handing out DHCP replies...

This is not a big issue, as any useful switch for an enterprise environment
will have this functionality. It does mean that you can not keep using dumb
non-ipv6 aware switches, but that would be true even if we did not have RA
and had to rely on DHCP instead.

Regards,

Baldur