NSA able to compromise Cisco, Juniper, Huawei switches

Shawn Wilson ag4ve.us at gmail.com
Mon Dec 30 11:12:19 UTC 2013

Saku Ytti <saku at ytti.fi> wrote:
>On (2013-12-30 20:30 +1100), sten rulz wrote:

>I really think we're doing disservice to an issue which might be at
>scale of
>human-rights issue, by spamming media with 0 data news. Where is this
>backdoor? How does it work? How can I recreate on my devices?

I don't really want you to know how to recreate it until the companies have had a chance to fix said issue. I'd hope, if such issues were disclosed, those news outlets would go through proper channels of disclosure before going to press with it.

>Large audience already seems to largely be in ignore mode about NSA
>revelations, since revelations are very noisy but little signal.

I think the NSA is hoping that to be the case. But just based on the fact that 60 Minutes did a story on the NSA and the NSA, POTUS, congress, and that half my Twitter, Facebook, and mailing lists are still talking about it (though my networks are probably biased) shows that people are still interested. Also, I think there's a fair chance SCOTUS will take this up due to differing rulings. Before this goes the way of Crypto-AG or clapper, its got quite a fair distance left in it.