The Making of a Router

Matt Palmer mpalmer at hezmatt.org
Sat Dec 28 21:17:27 UTC 2013

On Fri, Dec 27, 2013 at 08:47:25PM -0500, Jon Sands wrote:
> On 12/27/2013 8:18 PM, Baldur Norddahl wrote:
> >Brocade NetIron CER 2024F-4X goes for
> >about $21k
>
> As one last aside, if you're paying 21k, you're paying a little more
> than twice too much. Call Brocade and get yourself a real quote.

s/a real quote/a referral to a reseller who takes a week to even return your
call, let alone get a quote to you/

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt, about three months ago, and it was
for quite a chunk more kit than $21k list.  If they're so slack about
getting around to taking my money, how sharp are they going to be when I
need to cost them money (ask for support)?

> I think peoples main point here is that any handful of thousand dollars
> you think you will be saving by going PC based, is going to dissapear the
> very first downtime you experience with zero support.

So that ~$10k device comes with unlimited 24x7 30 minute response time
support, which will get me in touch directly with the people who built and
maintain the system I'm running, and with SLA penalties large enough to
completely cover the additional costs I incur due to the vendor's failure to
perform?  That's quite a deal.

- Matt

--
A byte walks into a bar and orders a pint. Bartender asks him "What's
wrong?" The byte says "Parity error." Bartender nods and says "Yeah, I