The Making of a Router

Ray Soucy rps at maine.edu
Sat Dec 28 00:13:05 UTC 2013

It seems to be a pretty "hot button" issue, but I feel that modern hardware
is more than capable of pushing packets.  The old wisdom of "only hardware
can do it efficiently" is starting to prove untrue.  10G might still be a
challenge (I haven't tested), but 1G is not even close to being an issue.
 Depending on the target for your deployment, it might make sense to
whitebox a router or firewall instead of spending 20K on it.  Especially if
you're working with any kind of scale.

TL;DR I think the backlash against anything but big iron routing is
becoming an old way of thinking.

--
Ray Patrick Soucy
Network Engineer

T: 207-561-3526
F: 207-561-3531

MaineREN, Maine's Research and Education Network
www.maineren.net