The Making of a Router

Baldur Norddahl baldur.norddahl at gmail.com
Fri Dec 27 20:00:04 UTC 2013

On Fri, Dec 27, 2013 at 4:18 PM, Jon Sands <fohdeesha at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Dec 27, 2013 10:08 AM, "Baldur Norddahl" <baldur.norddahl at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
> > We are an upstart and just buying the fancy Juniper switch times two
> would burn half of my seed capital.
>
> Then you didn't ask for nearly enough capital.

Another told Nick Cameo that if he can afford a 10G link, he can afford
Juniper. You could not be more wrong. The 10G uplink goes for $0 in initial
fee and less than $4k / month with unlimited traffic. The Juniper gear is
$100k up front for two routers able to handle the 10G links.

What I get from you guys is that in your opinion it is not possible to set
up a small ISP without spending a ton on Juniper or Cisco. I am not buying
that. Even if I did not have a clear limit on my capital, I would be
looking at avoiding paying that kind of money, because in the end the money
comes out of my own pocket.

Everybody have critical services running on servers. DHCP, DNS, Radius and
so on are all on servers and you will be down if these services are down.
What is with the knee jerk reaction for suggesting that the BGP daemon
could also be run on a server? There seems to be many advantages of doing
it this way, and not all of them are related to cost.

Regards,

Baldur