The Making of a Router

Ray Soucy rps at maine.edu
Fri Dec 27 10:14:39 UTC 2013

In talking about RAMBOOT I also realized the instructions are out of date
on the website.

The "ramboot" boot target script was updated since I created the initial
page to generate the correct fstab, and enable the root account, set a
hostname, etc. so you can actually use the OS until you create a new image.

I extracted the script from the initird to make it easier to grab:

http://ramboot.org/download/RAMBOOT/RAMBOOT-pre0.2/SYSLINUX/initrd/scripts/ramboot

Essentially, by adding a new "ramboot" script to
"/usr/share/initramfs-tools/scripts" along side "nfs" and "local" it
creates a new "boot=" target (since the init script looks for
"scripts/${BOOT}".

As mentioned on the website, the ramboot process needs a more complete
version of busybox (for tar archive support) and the mke2fs tool added to
"/usr/lib/initramfs-tools/bin/" so they will be available to the initrd.

Once you configure networking (see the "INSTALL/setup_network" script) you
can do an apt-get update and apt-get the packages you need from Ubuntu
12.04 LTS.

Example starting point:

apt-get install sudo
apt-get install nano