The Making of a Router

Faisal Imtiaz faisal at snappytelecom.net
Thu Dec 26 16:46:47 UTC 2013

I am a believer of not having to re-invent the wheel...

Having said that.. have you looked at 'purpose built appliances'  e.g.

http://www.lannerinc.com/
http://us.axiomtek.com/

If you are looking for a full router....
Consider such as these...
   http://www.linktechs.net/
   http://www.maxxwave.com/

and there are a few others but the concept is the same

Personally, I am not a believer in making a single device be the do all / end all of everything..
While one can do everything on a big server .. however breaking things out e.g. voip trans-coding and routing make maintenance, availability, and ability to create redundancy much more practical.

Regards

Faisal Imtiaz
Snappy Internet & Telecom