5.7 *report

Jay Ashworth jra at baylink.com
Sat Dec 21 04:21:08 UTC 2013

----- Original Message -----
> From: "Mike Schwartz" <mschw at athenet.net>

> That urks me, too. In many web sites that have a state field, you can
> at least type the first letter of your state, but you still have to use the
> mouse, unless your state is the first one that starts with any given
> letter.
> When I type "W", "WA" pops up, so I still have to use the mouse to
> select "WI". If I try to type "W" then "I", the popup box jumps to "IA".
>
> For example, jump to the state field on this website:
>
> https://www.tigerdirect.com/secure/subscribe2.asp?cm_sp=Masthead-_-NewCustom
> er-_-NA
>
> "W" takes me to "Washington", but if I then type "I" it takes me down
> to "International". I can avoid using my mouse if I type "W" and then
> down arrow twice, to get past West Virginia.

The widget is "pulldown menu with incremental search", and the question
is "did they allow multiple character search input" and, as a sub query
"how long after you hit a character does the hidden input field reset if
you don't hit enter".

Seems to me that Jeff Harrison coded a decent incremental search wrapped
around a browse lookup at one point ... or maybe it was Ron Klimasewski,
one of Microsys's other coders in the 90s.  It's been a long time...

It's odd, when I have to do maintenance work on tables all three of us
had our fingers in, I can tell which of the three of us worked on a given
routine; we each had a different view of 1TBS.  :-)

Cheers,
-- jra
--
Make Election Day a federal holiday: http://wh.gov/lBm94  100k sigs by 12/14