turning on comcast v6

Eric Oosting eric.oosting at gmail.com
Fri Dec 20 22:44:47 UTC 2013

On Fri, Dec 20, 2013 at 5:16 PM, Matthew Huff <mhuff at ox.com> wrote:

> Owen,
>
> Have you ever worked in a corporate environment? Replacing equipment can
> be a 5-7 year window and has to be justified and budgeted. Replacing a
> piece of equipment because it's an incomplete IPv6 implementation (which
> has changed considerably as it has been deployed), isn't feasible.

Not to put words in Owen's mouth, but let me explain how I interpret what
he was saying: Vote with your feet.

It's simple ... maybe you can't replace everything in your network that
doesn't support IPv6, ( I wish we all had that kind of discretionary
budgets) but you can still base purchasing decisions on IPv6 support, and
by and large, that isn't happening. Enterprise purchasing just isn't driven
by IPv6 features ... if anything, its a check box feature for vendors and
ignored by decision makers.

Until the enterprise says to the widget salesperson: "i'm not buying this
until and unless you truly commit to supporting IPv6" we're stuck where we
are.

We don't necessarily need you to replace everything in your network that
doesn't support it today, we need you to not put a single thing in your
network new, or used, that doesn't. Believe me, the vendors will get the
message and suddenly even the legacy stuff will start to be fixed. Remember
what a PITA it was to get novel to support IPv4? They didn't do it until
they had to.

-e