turning on comcast v6

Owen DeLong owen at delong.com
Fri Dec 20 22:36:29 UTC 2013

On Dec 20, 2013, at 14:27 , Matthew Huff <mhuff at ox.com> wrote:

> You can request a fully working IPv6 implementation, but it's not going to stop a purchasing if it doesn't. If you are deciding between two vendors and one is better/cheaper and doesn't have IPv6 and you choose the other, it's likely you will be looking for another job. There is no strong justification for deploying IPv6 in a corporate enterprise currently. Corporate world is focused on the next quarter, not at a 10 year horizon.

Which is it? You need equipment that's right for the next 5-7 years, or, you need to focus on next quarter and not a "10 year horizon"?

> We decided to  roll it out for a number of reasons. One, we had time this summer. Two, we figured it would highlight inherent issues already in our environment (it did, and we found a few doozies), and finally it was a good intellectual exercise. We have it running on all over our desktops, and most of our servers (some issues with license management software and other legacy software prevents us from deploying it on all servers)

This seems wise. Hopefully you're working with your vendors on getting those issues resolved.

> If we had an orderly shutdown of our IPv6 environment, there would be zero impact to the business. In fact, due to complexity issues, it would arguably we would arguably be better off without it. Perhaps in a few years things will be different. My bet is that even in 5 years, corporate adoption will be very small, maybe as low as 10%.

Maybe... However, what do you plan to do when your employees don't have IPv4 connectivity at home any more? That's likely going to either go away or get a lot more expensive in about 5-7 years.  That's not just my prediction... Lee Howard has some pretty good information to back it up. Check out his presentation from the Denver Inet in April of this year.

Owen