turning on comcast v6

Owen DeLong owen at delong.com
Fri Dec 20 20:23:10 UTC 2013

On Dec 20, 2013, at 6:29 AM, Matthew Huff <mhuff at ox.com> wrote:

> With RA, what is the smallest interval failover will work? Compare that with NHRP such as HSRP, VRRP, etc with sub-second failover.

RA and VRRP are not mutually exclusive. What you can’t have (currently) is routing information distributed by a DHCP server which may or may not actually know anything about the routing environment to which it is sending such information.

> In corporate networks most of the non-client systems will be statically addressed with privacy addresses turned off. This is for regulatory, audit, security and monitoring requirement. One of the many challenges of ipv6 in a corporate environment.

There’s no problem doing this in IPv6. You can easily statically address a system and you can easily turn off privacy addresses. You can even do that and still get your default router via RA or you can statically configure the default router address.

As such, can someone please explain what is the actual missing or problematic requirement for the corporate world?

Owen