turning on comcast v6

Lee Howard Lee at asgard.org
Fri Dec 20 13:25:12 UTC 2013

On 12/20/13 8:07 AM, "Jamie Bowden" <jamie at photon.com> wrote:

>> "Parity" isn't enough information; what features are missing?  RA is
>>part
>> of IPv6, but you don't have to use SLAAC.
>> I'd say it's the DHC people who need to hear it, not the IPv6 people,
>>but
>> YMMV.
>
>I have a question.  Why does DHCP hand out router, net mask, broadcast
>address, etc. in IPv4; why don't we all just use RIP and be done with it?
>
>You don't have to like how enterprise networks are built, but you better
>acknowledge that they are their own animal that have their own needs and
>drivers, and telling them that the way their networks are built are wrong
>and they need to change their whole architecture, separation of service,
>security model, etc. to fit your idea of perfection isn't winning
>friends.  You are, however, influencing people.  Perhaps not in the
>manner you intended.

So there's an interesting question.  You suggest there's a disagreement
between enterprise network operators and protocol designers. Who should
change?

I used to run an enterprise network. It was very different from an ISP
network. I didn't say, "You're wrong!" I said, "What's missing?"

There are business reasons to run IPv6. The fact that it's different than
IPv4 is not a reason not to use it.

Lee