turning on comcast v6

ML ml at kenweb.org
Fri Dec 20 04:11:46 UTC 2013

On 12/11/2013 10:23 PM, Rob Seastrom wrote:
> Eric Oosting <eric.oosting at gmail.com> writes:
>
>> It brings a tear to my eye that it takes:
>>
>> 0) A long standing and well informed internet technologist;
>> 1) specific, and potentially high end, CPE for the res;
>> 2) specific and custom firmware, unsupported by CPE manufacturer ... or
>> anyone;
>> 3) hand installing several additional packages;
>> 4) hand editing config files;
>> 5) sysctl kernel flags;
>> 6) several shout outs to friends and coworkers for assistance (resources
>> many don't have access to);
>> 7) oh, and probably hours and hours twiddling with it.
>>
>> just to get IPv6 to work correctly.
>>
>> Yea, that's TOTALLY reasonable.
> Pretty much works out of the box on Mikrotik RouterOS if you are
> secure enough in your geek cred to admit to running such stuff here in
> this august forum.
>
> -r

FYI - DHCP-PD is now working better in RouterOS 6.5

Prefix length hints are now available (CLI) only.

/ipv6 dhcp-client add add-default-route=yes interface=<wan interface>
pool-name=dhcp-pd \
prefix-hint=::/60

In the case of Comcast (and anecdotally ISC DHCP) - You'll either need
to wait out the the lease time (4 days) or ask Comcast to nicely clear
out your /64 lease manually.  Release/renew doesn't release your current
DHCP lease.  I was getting A /64 and /60 (/64 had a preference of 255)
before Comcast removed the /64 lease manually.