ddos attacks

Edward Lewis ed.lewis at neustar.biz
Thu Dec 19 16:18:03 UTC 2013

On Dec 18, 2013, at 18:12, cb.list6 wrote:

> I am strongly considering having my upstreams to simply rate limit ipv4
> UDP. It is the simplest solution that is proactive.

Recently it's been said that when a protocol is "query/response" (like DNS), willingly suppressing responses might be as harmful as passing all the traffic.

This comes from a presentation at October's DNS-OARC workshop:
https://indico.dns-oarc.net//getFile.py/access?contribId=4&resId=0&materialId=slides&confId=1

This is a "what is possible in theory" presentation, said to help you set your expectation whether this is a true threat or not.

The underlying message is that while a querier is waiting for a response, there is a window of vulnerability in which a forged response might be accepted.  If the responder elects not to respond, they increase the (time) duration of that window.

While "smart" rate limiting exhibits benefits I suspect "simple" rate limiting might have some undesirable consequences.

Edward Lewis
NeuStar                    You can leave a voice message at +1-571-434-5468

Why is it that people who fear government monitoring of social media are
surprised to learn that I avoid contributing to social media?