IPv6 /48 advertisements

Cliff Bowles cliff.bowles at apollogrp.edu
Wed Dec 18 16:11:46 UTC 2013

I accidentally sent this to nanog-request yesterday. I could use some feedback from anyone that can help, please.

Question: will carriers accept IPv6 advertisements smaller than /48?

Our org was approved a /36 based on number of locations. The bulk of those IPs will be in the data centers. As we were chopping up the address space, it was determined that the remote campus locations would be fine with a /60 per site. (16 networks of /64). There are usually less than 50 people at the majority of these locations and only about 10 different functional VLANs (Voice, Data, Local Services, Wireless, Guest Wireless, etc...).

Now, there has been talk about putting an internet link in every campus rather than back hauling it all to the data centers via MPLS. However, if we do this, then would we need a /48 per campus? That is massively wasteful, at 65,536 networks per location.  Is the /48 requirement set in stone? Will any carriers consider longer prefixes?

I know some people are always saying that the old mentality of conserving space needs to go away, but I was bitten by that IPv4 issue back in the day and have done a few VLSM network overhauls. I'd rather not massively allocate unless it's a requirement.

Thanks in advance.

CWB