CNAME issue

David Dowdle ddowdle at leopard.net
Thu Dec 12 18:54:15 UTC 2013

short answer: can't be done

You cannot have a cname and 'other' information for same entry.  As a zone
requires an SOA record, you cannot have a CNAME for the entire domain
(theoretically a registrar could do it in .com, but afaik nobody does
his).

Depending on customer's requirements, can put in a  wildcard  *.abcd.com
in cname xyz.com

Or can load the same zone file for both abcd.com and xyz.com, so in both,
mail<domain> goes to the same place