turning on comcast v6

Mark Andrews marka at isc.org
Thu Dec 12 01:11:35 UTC 2013

In message <CAKr6gn11nLzELbeMKksWAZuR6Tm0A6_kSsJDeF3d=9_N6p0ijA at mail.gmail.com>
, George Michaelson writes:

> I am probably closer to consumer behaviour at home than most of you. I
> don't regard my home router as a vehicle for hackery beyond clue I can find
> on the end user public lists and rarely if ever even apply that, and I run
> stock factory billion code on my billion ADSL2+ home gateway.
>
> I just enabled the ADSL2+ profile which had IPv6 and restarted. It came up
> immediately with a /56 and I haven't touched it since. I have been using it
> to SSH back home quite comfortably with an almost unmodified ACLset to
> permit port 22 inbound.
>
> This is on Internode, in Australia.
>
> So, while I fully acknowledge the reality is that for a lot of people,
> cable and other complex head-end systems needed change and the experience
> of going dual-stack can be painful, I want to assert IT DOESNT HAVE TO BE
> and I am proof by example
>
> It just worked.

And it should "just work" if you have two router daisy chained.  PD
was designed to allow this to work.  The home router vendors had
all the protocols required to make it work.  They choose not to
implement a working solution.

It isn't that hard to supply a take a PD request on one interface
and make a upstream request if you don't have unassigned space to
hand out then return the response add routing table entries to keep
it all working.

One can do more complicated stuff than that like running a routing
protocol but static routes also work.  It may not be optimal but
there was nothing stopping those other vendors from coding the
support.

Most home routers already do stuff like that in IPv4 for DNS servers
and other protocol elements.  They take what they have learnt from
upstream as supply it downstream.

Mark

PHONE: +61 2 9871 4742                 INTERNET: marka at isc.org