Best practice on TCP replies for ANY queries

Jared Mauch jared at puck.nether.net
Wed Dec 11 19:26:22 UTC 2013

dns-operations list is likely best suited for this question, but...

If using BIND 9.9.4 you can set the system to use TCP for repeated queries to prevent spoofed ones from being replied to (ie: use yourself as an amplifier).

There's lists of domains published that are used in abuse, eg:

https://twitter.com/DnsSmurf
http://dnsamplificationattacks.blogspot.nl/
https://github.com/smurfmonitor/dns-iptables-rules/blob/master/domain-blacklist.txt

You should restrict your DNS server (as much as possible) to only respond to your customer base.

If you are using microsoft dns, STOP.  It has no way to restrict the clients it replies to queries for.  Set up real software to forward to it which does the filtering and scoping for your space.

NSD and others also have the ability to configure rate-limiting, knowing what software you are using is an important key here for proper recommendations and guide pointers.

Good luck,

- jared