[nznog] Web Servers: Dual-homing or DNAT/Port Forwarding?

Geraint Jones geraint at koding.com
Tue Dec 10 22:30:14 UTC 2013

On 11/12/13 10:13 am, "Alex White-Robinson" <alexwr at gmail.com> wrote:

>Wotcha,
>
>>Number 1 gets you thinking along the IPv6 route (no pun, and imho :) )
>>since you have to treat each boxes as if it was public.
>
>I see this kind of statement surprisingly often. Having a public address
>doesn't make a device public.

Yes it does, it makes end to end connectivity work again. NAT broke that
(and its one of the best things about v6). People have been relying on the
fact that you need rules to get through a NAT to reach a box - thereby
having NAT work as an inbound firewall. NAT != Security.

But yes having a public address means your box is public, you have to do
something to STOP traffic getting to it. With NAT you have to do something
to ENABLE traffic to get to it.