Caps (was Re: AT&T UVERSE Native IPv6, a HOWTO)

Jared Mauch jared at puck.nether.net
Mon Dec 9 19:03:45 UTC 2013

On Dec 9, 2013, at 11:38 AM, Jay Ashworth <jra at baylink.com> wrote:

>> It costs you nothing to let people use capacity that would otherwise go
>> to waste, and it increases the perceived value of your service. Your
>> customers will eventually find themselves depending on that excess
>> capacity often enough that at least some will be willing to pay you
>> more to guarantee that it'll be there when they really want it.
>
> +10
>
> We've forgotten the Committed Information Rate already?

ATM/FRAME ftw?

I think the challenge here is that RF doesn't scale similarly to other mediums.

Cost per bit-mile on fiber is really low compared to RF.

If you assume 10G-LR optics (10km) @ $299 *2 (pair) + Cvt-5002sfp ($500*2)

is around $0.16/Mbit

RF (cheap) NB-5G25 = $95*2 (pair) is around $3.16/Mbit (assuming 60Mb/s unidirectional) or almost 20x the cost, assuming 40Mhz channel and spectrum available.

While fiber installation can be expensive, one needs to ask the local municipalities to install extra conduit every time the earth is broken for a local project.

- Jared