turning on comcast v6

Cutler James R james.cutler at consultant.com
Mon Dec 9 16:51:46 UTC 2013

On Mon, Dec 9, 2013 at 9:49 AM, Randy Bush <randy at psg.com> wrote:
> http://comcast6.net/ tells me that the local cmts is v6 enabled.  my
> modem, a cisco dpc3008, is in the supported products list.  so how do
> i turn the sucker on?

According to Comcast’s DOCSIS Devices page, http://mydeviceinfo.comcast.net/?s=i&so=1&e=0&d3=1&tier=-1&sc=84, the Cisco DPC3008 is not supported for IPv6.  You could always try enabling IPv6 on a system directly connected to the Cisco and see what happens. I’m not optimistic.

I opted for my minimal-effort solution.  I installed a Motorola SB6121 and a 5th gen Airport Extreme and turned them on. Of course I configured the Airport Extreme with a name, management password, and confirmed IPv6 was set to to configure Automatically and Native.  When the Comcast drop was plugged in and Comcast authorized the modem, I had a multistacked LAN.

Going on 11 months of IPv4/IPv6 service.  I’ve had about 1 hour of downtime.

James R. Cutler
james.cutler at consultant.com