turning on comcast v6

Christopher Morrow morrowc.lists at gmail.com
Mon Dec 9 16:19:18 UTC 2013

On Mon, Dec 9, 2013 at 11:08 AM, Randy Bush <randy at psg.com> wrote:
>> do you see PD from your modem? or RA's?
>
> still trying to educate the opwnwrt (attitude adjustment on netgear
> 3800).
>
> root at wrt-biwa:~# opkg update
> Downloading http://downloads.openwrt.org/attitude_adjustment/12.09/ar71xx/generic/packages//Packages.gz.
> Inflating http://downloads.openwrt.org/attitude_adjustment/12.09/ar71xx/generic/packages//Packages.gz.
> Updated list of available packages in /var/opkg-lists/attitude_adjustment.
> root at wrt-biwa:~# opkg install luci-proto-ipv6
> Unknown package 'luci-proto-ipv6'.
> Collected errors:
>  * opkg_install_cmd: Cannot install package luci-proto-ipv6.
> root at wrt-biwa:~# opkg install ipv6-support
> Unknown package 'ipv6-support'.
> Collected errors:
>  * opkg_install_cmd: Cannot install package ipv6-support.
>
> sigh

yea, so my 'saga' started with:
  1) "dlink 615 doesn't like dhcp-pd ... and is flat broken for v6"
     a) gets v6 addr on WAN from arris-RA
     b) gets PD alloction from arris, does RA's to LAN
     c) sets default-gw for v6 on the LAN side to something unreachable
     d) manually resetting default-gw ... gets me zippy... can't ping
either side of the dlink, nor the arris :(
      e) dlink's v6 code (for that platform) is just boarked, badly.

  2) oh! dd-wrt does this platform too, and v6
    a) install dd-wrrt
    b) fiddle-fart around with v6 configs
    c) oh.. dhcp-pd is one of the things dd-wrt didn't implement :(
    d) oh, their 'v6 support' is really only 'v6 tunnel support'
    e) boned.

basically ... this is much harder to do than it shoudl be :( and yes,
I can probably do something like plug in my raspberry-pi and make that
a 'router' but come on... in 2013 I have to home-brew something to get
a protocol developed and engineered in 2000 to work? :(

(this raised itself above my level of 'fixed in a weekend' project, so
my comcast v6 lays fallow... NOTE: this is NOT comcast's fault, in my
eyes.)

-chris