[c-nsp] Cisco ScanSafe, aka Cisco Cloud Web Security

Eugeniu Patrascu eugen at imacandi.net
Fri Dec 6 08:17:53 UTC 2013

Helllo Pui,

Thanks for the pointers but I think you misunderstood my question. I know
how to set up a captive portal for WiFi access.

What I wanted to know is how are users logging into captive portals when
the browser has a proxy set and it tries to send all requests to the proxy
server which until they authenticate to the captive portal they cannot
reach ?

Eugeniu

On Fri, Dec 6, 2013 at 9:47 AM, Pui Edylie <email at edylie.net> wrote:

> Hi Eugeniu,
>
> You could use the inexpensive Mikrotik User Manager
>
> http://wiki.mikrotik.com/wiki/User_Manager/Introduction
>
> http://wiki.mikrotik.com/wiki/Manual:User_Manager
>
> http://wiki.mikrotik.com/wiki/User_Manager/Getting_started
>
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=blEGv5i-aO4
>
> Good Luck :)
>
> Edy
>
> On 12/6/2013 3:14 PM, Eugeniu Patrascu wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> How do you handle captive portals in hotels and other venues where you
>> first have to login into the portal and then have Internet access ?
>>
>> This is my biggest woe right now in this regards with any kind of proxy
>> settings I can push to users.
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Eugeniu
>>

>> On Thu, Dec 5, 2013 at 10:05 PM, Scott Voll <svoll.voip at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>  We currently use CCWS (previously ScanSafe) with the Anyconnect client.
>>>   Nice solution.  Whether your in the office or remoting from a
>>> Starbucks,
>>> the traffic is always proxied.  We went with the solution because of a
>>> couple reasons:
>>>
>>> 1. with multiple egress points on the corporate network, we didn't want
>>> be down if we lost a proxy server.
>>>
>>> 2. corporate laptops whether in the office or at Starbucks would still be
>>> proxied.  This helps limit our virus and malware infections.  and