Question related to Cellular Data and restrictions..

Joshua Goldbard j at 2600hz.com
Thu Dec 5 18:23:07 UTC 2013

You are misunderstanding the political reality and are instead making impermissible technical inferences.

Is moving bits between networks hard or expensive? No.

Is moving bits between asymmetric power relationships trivial? No.

When you think about how much roaming costs, you're thinking of the settlement free model which is not how cellular roaming works. Cellular roaming is a fiefdom. There is no common carriage. No one is obligated to carry anyone else's traffic.

Therefore roaming is artificially more expensive. It is political not technical.

Bear in mind, you are preaching to the converted. You don't get much more hippie-status in the telecom world than writing open-source infrastructure (which is what my company does). I know where you're coming from and I'm trying to explain why the networks are not behaving in an optimally efficient manner: because it isn't profitable.

We can sit here and rail about how bad TMobile is on a mailing list but the behavior they are displaying is entirely rational given the rules of the game.

You asked how someone could claim nationwide network without owning all of the assets, I answered you and you don't like the answer. Sorry.

If you don't like it, write Tom Wheeler or put in a false advertising claim, but you should understand that TMobile's behavior is politically rational.

Cheers,
Joshua

Sent from my iPhone