Question related to Cellular Data and restrictions..

cb.list6 cb.list6 at gmail.com
Thu Dec 5 14:32:52 UTC 2013

On Dec 4, 2013 11:31 PM, "Warren Bailey" <
wbailey at satelliteintelligencegroup.com> wrote:

> Blanket reply.. :)
>
> So at what point does unlimited mean unlimited? Roaming agreements have
always been two sided. In my case.. I roam on to AT&T's network, the same
as AT&T folk roam into tmo when they do not have coverage. At the end of
the month the two are reconciled and someone gets paid. If you are selling
a service that is making generalized assurances in connectivity (nationwide
4g let netwokr) , you should make a best effort to honor that. It wasn't
even a fair amount of bandwidth.. I could deal with a 2gb a month cap or
something.. But I am now able to use my unlimited data in 100 countries
without incurring additional charges.. Are we going to start saying that
international roaming costs are lower than domestic on a regularly used
network?

> I literally feel like I'm taking crazy pills here. Tmo and Att are far
from small fish.. And a 50mb per month cap is absolute bullshit. Figure it
into your business line.. Or do the honest thing and don't offer the
service. How you guys are justifying this is BEYOND me. You can buy a ds1
for several hundred dollars per month.. And unlimited customers get 50 megs
a month for data.. You can't even check email over the month on that. I'm
not an abusive user.. I don't download or use my cellular data connection
for hacked hotspot use.. Not to mention the hotspot I do have with them has
10gb a month nationwide.. So I can use my puck for 10gb..but my phone (on
the SAME TOWER) is different?

> That is like saying sms costs network providers money.. (don't bring up
ran gear or smsc costs.. It's not related)

If you have a beef with tmo, here is the complaint department
https://mobile.twitter.com/JohnLegere or you can email him at
john.legere at t-mobile.com

You can probably just forward this thread

Given that tmo now has free (rate limited) intl data roaming, it is a
bummer to see domestic roaming is now less well served.  I think in belt
tightening years limiting domestic roaming saved substantial cost ... since
it can be expensive having some users living on roamed networks

CB

> Sent from my Mobile Device.

the terms of my NDA to confirm the 10x number I can say that we found it to
be prohibitively expensive.

> One should be aware that, just like in the IP transit world, the small
players have different rules than the big kids. It might be prohibitively
expensive for us, but it's a different order of magnitude for a carrier
like Sprint proper.

> Hope that helps.
>
> Cheers,
> Joshua
>
> P.S. shameless plug: we provide white-label cellular service to operators
including full provisioning and call control plus it can be tied back into
corporate phone systems (and it's open source!!).

> Sent from my iPhone
>
> On Dec 4, 2013, at 2:59 PM, "Henry Yen" <henry at AegisInfoSys.com> wrote:
>
> > On Wed, Dec 04, 2013 at 22:18:12PM +0000, Joshua Goldbard wrote:
> >> ...  When you send your data
> >> over a partners network it raises your wireless company's cost of
> >> delivering service, in some cases so much so that you become
> >> unprofitable.
> >
> > Some folks over at Ting(.com) suggest that the cost for data roaming is
as
> > high as ten times that for voice/SMS roaming, which is why they don't
charge
> > extra for the latter, and do not at all provide the former.
> >
> > --
> > Henry Yen <Henry.Yen at Aegis00.com>               Aegis Information
Systems, Inc.