AT&T UVERSE Native IPv6, a HOWTO

Nikolay Shopik shopik at inblock.ru
Wed Dec 4 18:32:55 UTC 2013

On 04.12.2013 4:14, Mark Andrews wrote:
> In message <529D9492.8020205 at inblock.ru>, Nikolay Shopik writes:
>> On 03/12/13 02:54, Owen DeLong wrote:
>>> I have talked to my bean counters. We give out /48s to anyone who wants them and we don't charge for IPv6 add
>> ress space.
>>
>> There is some ISP who afraid their users will be reselling their
>> connectivity to other users around. While I didin't see that in years
>> (probably last time in 2005) but still this exist in poor regions.
>
> And if they didn't resell it they probably wouldn't have a customer
> in the first place.  Unless you offer "unlimited" plans the ISP
> isn't losing anything here.  The bandwidth being used is being paid
> for.  If it isn't the ISP needs to adjust the price points to cover
> their costs rather than hoping that people won't use all of the
> bandwidth they have purchased.

If we talk about end-user not business user, ISP assume 95th% load will
be minimal so therefore it allow them to sell 100mbit for like 20-30$,
while real price of it much higher.

If its big ISP they usually don't care, as there always be downloaders
who saturate their link to 90% most time, but compare to most of other
users in their net, this will be not noticeable. If its just smallish
ISP things get harder for it.

> This is like the whole tethered debate.  Why should the ISP care
> about which device the packets are source from.  The customer is
> buying so many gigabytes of traffic a month.  They should be able
> to use them anyway they see fit without actually breaking the laws
> of the land.

If you actually pay per bit, true or have some kind "fair usage"
unlimited plan.

> I let my daughter's friends use the net at home here.  If they burn
> through my monthly allotment well then I need to pony up more money
> or take a reduced service level until the month ends.  It's none
> of my ISP's concern how the bandwidth I have purchased from them
> is being used.

If you talk about wired connection, this thing almost non-existing here.
Only apply to wireless 3G/4G ISPs with limited bits and then reduced
service.

> Note there really isn't unlimited.  There is pipe width * 29-30
> days of traffic.  If you have purchased a "unlimited" service then
> you should be able to pull that amount of traffic without the ISP
> complaining.
>
>> Other than that, completely agree on /56y default and /48 on request,
>> but most ISPs here are give-out just single /64.
>
> Which is just plain stupid.

Some even come up with idea two separate /64 make things easier :-D,
instead just put at least round /60