AT&T UVERSE Native IPv6, a HOWTO

Owen DeLong owen at delong.com
Tue Dec 3 04:50:27 UTC 2013

On Dec 2, 2013, at 20:11 , Rob Seastrom <rs at seastrom.com> wrote:

> "Ricky Beam" <jfbeam at gmail.com> writes:
>
>> On Fri, 29 Nov 2013 08:39:59 -0500, Rob Seastrom <rs at seastrom.com> wrote:
>>> So there really is no excuse on AT&T's part for the /60s on uverse 6rd...
>> Handing out /56's like Pez is just wasting address space -- someone
>> *is*  paying for that space. Yes, it's waste; giving everyone 256
>> networks when  they're only ever likely to use one or two (or maybe
>> four), is  intentionally wasting space you could've assigned to
>> someone else. (or  **sold** to someone else :-)) IPv6 may be huge to
>> the power of huge, but  it's still finite. People like you are
>> repeating the same mistakes from  the early days of IPv4...
>
> There's finite, and then there's finite.  Please complete the
> following math assignment so as to calibrate your perceptions before
> leveling further allegations of profligate waste.
>
>   Suppose that every mobile phone on the face of the planet was an "end
>   site" in the classic sense and got a /48 (because miraculously,
>   the mobile providers aren't being stingy).
>
>   Now give such a phone to every human on the face of the earth.
>
>   Unfortunately for our conservation efforts, every person with a
>   cell phone is actually the cousin of either Avi Freedman or Vijay
>   Gill, and consequently actually has FIVE cell phones on active
>   plans at any given time.
>
>   Assume 2:1 overprovisioning of address space because per Cameron
>   Byrne's comments on ARIN 2013-2, the cellular equipment providers
>   can't seem to figure out how to have N+1 or N+2 redundancy rather
>   than 2N redundancy on Home Agent hardware.
>
> What percentage of the total available IPv6 space have we burned
> through in this scenario?  Show your work.
>
> -r

Quick napkin version:

6.8 Billion people * 10  = 68Billion /48s.

32 bits = 4 billion (we all know that from IPv4, right?)

A /16 is 4 Billion /48s.
A /15 is 8 Billion
A /14 is 16 Billion
A /13 is 32 Billion
A /12 is 64 Billion
A /11 leaves room to spare at more than 128 Billion /48s.

So, we need 2 /12s. We have already issued RIRs 6 /12s (as of 3Q2013), leaving 506 /13s in 2000::/3

We could easily issue the global total need of 2 /12s (a /11) to each RIR (there are 5), so total of 10 in addition to what has already been issued, and we'd have issued a total of 16 /12s leaving 494 /12s in inventory in 2000::/3.

For convenience, I will remind everyone that 2000::/2 represents 1/8th of the total address space.

Further, for those that are worried about population explosions causing this not to scale, even if the population on the planet expanded by an order of magnitude so that we had to issue 100 /12s, w would still have 406 /12s remaining in 2000::/3.

Owen