AT&T UVERSE Native IPv6, a HOWTO

Owen DeLong owen at delong.com
Tue Dec 3 01:21:03 UTC 2013

On Dec 2, 2013, at 16:57 , Gary Buhrmaster <gary.buhrmaster at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Mon, Dec 2, 2013 at 11:47 PM, Owen DeLong <owen at delong.com> wrote:
>> (Hint, NEST has already released an IPv4 smoke detector).
>
> And they really should have enabled IPv6 on it :-(
> But the processor should be able to handle it, if
> they update the firmware. I hear Tado does IPv6.

The problem with Tado is that it doesn't do AC, only heat.

I am not so sure about Nest being able to do that with a firmware upgrade.

I haven't looked inside of one, but someone told me that they were using Wiznet chips.

If they are, then that's IPv4 baked into the hardware of the chip and it won't do IPv6. This has been a huge problem with trying to do anything IPv6-oriented in the Arduino and other Microcontroller world. The Raspberry PI and the UDOO are the first semi-promising solutions that I am aware of in this arean, though the Cubie board and Beagle bone have some capabilities here as well... They're just a bit on the pricey side.

Owen